Thursday, October 31, 2013

happy halloween + gnomeo and juliet








Juliet: 
Oh, Gnomeo, Gnomeo, are we really doomed, Gnomeo, to never see each other again?
Why must you wear a blue hat? Why couldn't it be red like my father, or green like...
...like a leprechaun... or purple like, ummmm, like uhh...like some weird guy.
I mean, what's in a gnome? Because you are blue, my father sees red.
And because I am red, I am feeling blue. 
Oh, at any rate that shouldn't be the thing to keep us apart, should it?
Gnomeo:
 No, no! It shouldn't! I couldn't have said it better myself!
Juliet:
 Oh, my giddy aunt! Did you just hear all that!?





We're not necessarily the type of couple to dress up in celebration of Halloween, but we're definitely the fun-loving type of couple that will dress up for pretty much anything (like midnight movie premieres).

Our church hosts a harvest festival each year, and we were asked to participate in the Trunk or Treat portion! Last year we were Carl and Ellie from UP, and I'm not sure we can top that one -- it's such a popular movie and as easy as the costume was, everyone seemed to love it!

I personally love this movie though and had a blast dressing up as Gnomeo and Juliet. I think it's definitely underrated, as far as cartoon movies go. The soundtrack is packed full of Elton John songs, and the Elton John/Lady Gaga collaboration for "Hello Hello" is pretty fantastic.
The costumes (other than the hats, which I made at the last second, and the white apron) were compiled from items straight out of our closets. So the cost was only a couple dollars, for the apron and felt-by-the-yard from JoAnn's!
We decorated our trunk as a garden, using a bunch of flowers and odds and ends from the dollar store!






For my outfit, I used a new dress from Ruche (the one I talked about in my Mary Margaret post!), a sheer white blouse, an embellished tank top, a plain white apron, red tights and black boots!






2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! You guys are so adorable!!!! I think I actually like this year's costume better than the one you did last year. So adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah thanks Cait!! I thought it was so much fun. I liked this year's a lot too!!
    Now I just gotta start brainstorming for next year... :)

    ReplyDelete