Friday, August 1, 2014

guardians of the galaxy

source

I think for the most part it has been properly established on this blog that I am somewhat, maybe, a little bit a nerd. I take this title proudly because most of the people I love most in the world are somehow nerdy in their own right.
Being a nerd has many definitions. Actually it has mainly two, one of which is being a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious...but I'm gonna cross this one out and claim definition number two, which is a single-minded expert in a particular field. Vis–à–vis, a computer nerd.
Well maybe I'm a book nerd. A sci-fi nerd. A harry potter nerd. A cat nerd. I dunno, maybe I'm just a lot of nerds, which means I'm an expert in a lot of things.
But now, most certainly, I am a Guardians of the Galaxy nerd.

This movie is special, guys. Maybe I'm the only one who was tearing up with childlike wonder the entire time I was plopped in that cushy theater seat, but I have a feeling it was the result of an airborne spark of community and innovation. The contagious joy and understanding of true spirit.

I have an inkling that a lot of this special quality comes from Chris Pratt, who has quickly become my favorite leading man. I'm going to be honest and say that I have loved him since Everwood, and sometimes I still try to convince my husband that Bright would be a great name for our first son.
It makes me so happy to see Pratt working so much, obviously as lovable Andy Dwyer in Parks and Recreation for the last 5+ years and now as our favorite big screen heroes in movies like The Lego Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy and 2015's Jurassic World. 
It's like he has a monopoly on starring in movies that will be my favorites of all time.



And truly, it's for good reason. He is an absolute delight to watch. There's something about him that is magnetic and endearing, and he manages to bring the best out of everyone he shares the screen with. The ensemble is brilliant, too, establishing a solid sense of humor and rapport that is completely unique to them.

Peter Quill, a.k.a Star Lord, is flanked by a team of unlikely comrades. There's Gamora (Zoe Saldana), the alienated adopted daughter of the super-villain Thanos. Drax the Destroyer (Dave Bautista), a heartbroken and violent hulk of a man with a dangerous vendetta. Then there's Rocket (voiced by Bradley Cooper), a man-like Raccoon, who is the result of many experiments and technological advances (he has some unresolved issues as well). His sentient tree friend and bodyguard Groot (voiced by Vin Diesel) is one of the best and most charming parts of this film.
The filmmakers don't put any of them to waste, either -- they utilize each of their individual personalities to create hysterical dialogue, incredible action and heartfelt revelations. They're all perfect, and the casting served these characters brilliantly.

I don't want to ruin much of this movie, but the opening is scene is rather somber. It's a little glimpse into Peter Quill's younger days, his "normal" existence before he is plunged into a life of galactic swashbuckling. The first scene of grown-up Quill is epic. It sets the tone for the rest of the film in a most extraordinary fashion, via classic rock and dancing across a desolate planet-scape, hip sways and all. The scene is so captivating and entertaining, he just dances right into our hearts (is that a cliche? I'm using it anyway).
Dancing is absolutely the 7th hero of this film, behind the main five, and Groot again, because I count him twice.



The nuances that Pratt brings to this role really create an immediate connection between the audience and Peter Quill, the self-entitled Star Lord. I think this movie is a perfect illustration of why movies like this work so well on screen. It continues the legacy of films like Star Wars, which opened our minds to a whole new landscape of adventure and imagination. This movie had me drunk with visions of colorful space vistas and so many intricate details that I couldn't possibly manage to capture them all in one glance.
Thus, the need to own and rewatch this movie over and over again.



Everyone involved in the making of this movie should be incredibly proud. They have accomplished something wonderful, that I am thrilled to be a part of as well, even if it's just from the theater seat. 
It seems like Chris Pratt realizes that, and you should, too. 




If you've seen it, comment below! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the movie.
If you haven't, now you know why you should. I can't wait to hear your reviews when you do. 



source

No comments:

Post a Comment