Monday, October 6, 2014

birthday! {frocktober, day 4+5}




Saturday was a day for sweet treats, napping and celebrations.
My best friend from college came down with her little boy to visit for my birthday weekend, which was such a blast! It's one of the great blessings of being back on the west coast. We went to college in California so we're much closer to all of our loved ones in that state!
On Saturday morning we went up to meet my sister-in-law and nephew for a fun little brunch, complete with macarons. I love macarons. She gifted me a dozen of them from this little bakery for my birthday, and even though I originally vowed to make them last, I only have 2 left!

When we got back to the house we rested for a little while (recovering from our s'mores hangover), then we headed out to celebrate my little niece Annabella's second birthday! Her and I are the October bebes. Which is fitting, since her middle name is Caitlin, too! (Side story: instantly burst into tears when they announced what her name would be - almost swerved off the road due to tear-vision). 





Sunday was the official beginning of my 26th year. It has begun. 
To be totally honest, I was in a bit of a funk. I think it was a combination of ending my year of being 25, my friend leaving to go back home, my fatigue (I took a 3-hour nap - s'more hangovers can be really long-winded), and the overall uncertainty of this next year of our lives. 

I have to constantly remind myself that I'm a lover of adventure, and that I am blessed beyond measure. It seems unfair that our tendency is to forget and grow accustomed to the great blessings of our lives. Disaster and tragedy have to occur before we remember to gather together, fellowship, compliment, cherish, edify. 
It's one of the reasons people forget God and feel rather confident that they have no need for Him. This world is a rather talented foe at encouraging greed, dissatisfaction and selfishness.  

I love birthdays and I adore silliness and simple pleasures and my morning coffee and presents of all shapes and sizes. I tend to like things, but they're not the intricate matters of life. At the end of the day, as I enter these late-twenties and realize the increasing speediness of each year, I am so grateful for this little life and everything it means to me and my loved ones. I am loved and I love back. I have two cats that purr and frolic and make messes and make me laugh heartily all the time. I have Arizona sunsets and sweet friends and parents that love each other. I have three brothers that I will love for all time, and surrogate sisters that have graced my life with girlishness and encouragement and love. I have my darling husband who laughs, cries, praises, rejoices, challenges, surprises, and delights. He and I will be hand-in-hand for the rest of our days, praising God all the way because all of these things are His. Big picture. 
So grateful for the gifts. 



1 comment:

  1. So glad you're my surrogate sister! And thanks for the reminder to be thankful in the good times and cherish the little things. :)

    ReplyDelete